I am going to show you what ISO 27001 Annex A 5.19 Information Security In Supplier Relationships is, what’s new, give you ISO 27001 templates, an ISO 27001 toolkit, show you examples, do a walkthrough and show you how to implement it.
I am Stuart Barker the ISO 27001 Ninja and using over two decades of experience on hundreds of ISO 27001 audits and ISO 27001 certifications I show you exactly what changed in the ISO 27001:2022 update and exactly what you need to do for ISO 27001 certification.
Table of contents
- What is ISO 27001 Annex A 5.19 Information Security In Supplier Relationships?
- ISO 27001 Information Security In Supplier Relationships Implementation Guide
- How to comply with ISO 27001 Annex A 5.19
- How to pass an audit of ISO 27001 Annex A 5.19
- What will an audit check?
- Top 3 Mistakes People Make For ISO 27001 Information Security In Supplier Relationships
- Why is ISO 27001 Information Security In Supplier Relationships Important?
- ISO 27001 Annex A 5.19 Information Security In Supplier Relationships FAQ
- Get the Help of the ISO 27001 Ninja
- ISO 27001 Matrix of controls and attribute values
What is ISO 27001 Annex A 5.19 Information Security In Supplier Relationships?
ISO 27001 Annex A 5.19 Information Security In Supplier Relationships is an ISO 27001 control that requires an organisation to mange the information security risks of using supplier products and services.
It is about securing the supply chain.
Suppliers represent one of your biggest risks as you cannot directly manage them or influence them and it is likely you rely on them, they have your data and provide services that you need to be successful.
ISO 27001 Annex A 5.19 Purpose
Annex A 5.19 is a preventive control that ensures you maintain an agreed level of information security in supplier relationships.
ISO 27001 Annex A 5.19 Definition
The ISO 27001 standard defines ISO 27001 Annex A 5.19 as:
Processes and procedures should be defined and implemented to manage the information security risks associated with the use of supplier’s products or services.ISO 27001:2022 Annex A 5.19 Information Security In Supplier Relationships
ISO 27001 Information Security In Supplier Relationships Implementation Guide
We are going to rely on a couple of mechanism to ensure Information Security In Supplier Relationships.
Topic Specific Policy
The standard requires a topic specific policy on supplier relationships – Third Party Supplier Policy
Supplier Management Process
You will need a supplier management process that sets out
- how to identify and document suppliers and supplier types
- evaluating suppliers according to information process, transmitted or shared
- reviewing the controls that are in place
- documenting what suppliers can access, monitor, control and use
- assessing and managing supplier risks
- monitoring and ensuring compliance to information security
- implementing mitigation for non compliance of a supplier
- the handling of incidents
- availability, business continuity and disaster recovery
- managing the transfer of information
- the process for terminating and ending a supplier / supplier relationship
- what level of security of people and physical security are expected
ISO 27001 Supplier Register
The best way to manage ISO 27001 Suppliers is via the ISO 27001 Supplier Register. You can learn more in the ISO 27001 Third Party Supplier Register Beginner’s Guide
Supplier Agreements / Contracts
The number one recommendation is to seek professional legal counsel for the provision of all contracts. The following is guidance but you should always defer to professional legal counsel. Always. You are not a lawyer. We are not a lawyer.
Our first line of defence and go to is the supplier agreement or supplier contract. At its core it is a legal mechanism that is legally binding and provides the greatest level of overall protection.
- It sets out what is required, what will be done, who will do it, what happens if things go wrong.
- What information is to be provided, accessed and the methods of access.
- Legal, regulatory and contractual requirements. Elements such as intellectual property rights, copyright information, data protection requirements.
- The controls and levels of controls that are required by both parties to the agreement.
- Acceptable and unacceptable use of assets.
- How to grant and remove access
- Penalities, indemnities and remediation for failings to meet the contract.
- Contact information
- Screening requirements for staff were legally enforceable.
- How evidence and assurance of information security will be provided
- Rights to audit
- How to solve problems or conflicts with the contract
- Appropriate back up, business continuity and disaster recovery
- The process for change management
- Physical security as appropriate
- Information transfer processes
- Termination clauses and processes
- Destruction and removal of data processes
- Handover at the end of the contract
Contracts are kept and recorded in the Third Party Supplier Register. They are reviewed at least annually, based on risk and significant change or event.
ISO 27001 Information Security In Supplier Relationships Templates
There are individual ISO 27001 supplier templates that can help with control A 5.19. They are include in the ISO 27001 Toolkit that allows you to fast track your do it yourself ISO 27001 certification.
The Most Ruthlessly Effective and Aggressively Priced ISO 27001 Toolkit in the World.
Join over 1,500+ Empowered Consultants & Business Owners
How to comply with ISO 27001 Annex A 5.19
To comply with ISO 27001 Annex A 5.19 you are going to implement the ‘how’ to the ‘what’ the control is expecting. In short measure you are going to
- Implement a topic specific policy
- Implement an supplier management process
- Implement a third party supplier register
How to pass an audit of ISO 27001 Annex A 5.19
To pass an audit of ISO 27001 Annex A 5.19 you are going to make sure that you have followed the steps above in how to comply.
You are going to do that by first conducting an internal audit, following the How to Conduct an ISO 27001 Internal Audit Guide.
What will an audit check?
The audit is going to check a number of areas. Lets go through the most common
1. That you have a supplier management process
The auditor is going to check the rules, procedures and supplier management methodology and make sure you followed them. Make sure all suppliers are listed, you have contracts or agreements or terms for each supplier and that you have assurance they are doing the right thing for information security.
2. That you have an ISO 27001 Supplier Register
You will need an ISO 27001 Supplier Register to record and manage your suppliers. Make sure it is up to date and reflects your reality.
They are going to look at audit trails and all your documentation and see that is classified and labelled. All the documents that you show them, as a minimum if they are confidential should be labelled as such. Is the document up to date. Has it been reviewed in the last 12 months. Does the version control match.
Top 3 Mistakes People Make For ISO 27001 Information Security In Supplier Relationships
The top 3 Mistakes People Make For ISO 27001 Annex A 5.19 are
1. You have no contracts or legal terms with a supplier
Make sure that there is a contract, agreement, terms of business or some legal mechanism for engaging with suppliers and you have a copy, it is in date and covers what you are using.
2. You have no assurance they are doing the right thing for information security
Make sure you have done your security assessment and can place your hands on an in date certificate such as an ISO 27001 Certification for assurance they are doing the right thing. It needs to be in date a cover the products and / or services you have acquired and are using form the supplier.
3. Your document and version control is wrong
Keeping your document version control up to date, making sure that version numbers match where used, having a review evidenced in the last 12 months, having documents that have no comments in are all good practices.
Why is ISO 27001 Information Security In Supplier Relationships Important?
ISO 27001 Annex A 5.19 Information Security In Supplier Relationships is important because suppliers represent the biggest risk to you. If they are not doing the right thing it is your reputation, your finances, your success that is stake. Get supplier management correct and reduce the risk.
ISO 27001 Annex A 5.19 Information Security In Supplier Relationships FAQ
For ISO 27001 Annex A 5.19 Information Security In Supplier Relationships you will need the ISO 27001 Supplier Policy
There are templates for ISO 27001 Annex A 5.19 located in the ISO 27001 Toolkit.
ISO 27001 Annex A 5.19 Sample PDF in the ISO 27001 Toolkit.
Yes. Whilst the ISO 27001 Annex A clauses are for consideration to be included in your Statement of Applicability there is no reason we can think of that would allow you to exclude ISO 27001 Annex A 5.19 Information Security In Supplier Relationships is a fundamental part of your control framework and any management system. It is explicitly required for ISO 27001.
Yes. You can write the policies for ISO 27001 Annex A 5.19 yourself. You will need a copy of the standard and approximately 5 days of time to do it. It would be advantageous to have a background in information security management systems. There are a number of documents you will require as well as the policy for identity management. Alternatively you can download them in the ISO 27001 Toolkit.
ISO 27001 templates for ISO 27001 Annex A 5.19 are located in the ISO 27001 Toolkit.
ISO 27001 Annex A 5.19 is hard. The documentation required is extensive. We would recommend templates to fast track your implementation.
ISO 27001 Annex A 5.19 will take approximately 1 to 3 month to complete if you are starting from nothing and doing a full implementation. With the right risk management approach and an ISO 27001 Template Toolkit it should take you less than 1 day.
The cost of ISO 27001 Annex A 5.19 will depend how you go about it. If you do it yourself it will be free but will take you about 1 to 3 months so the cost is lost opportunity cost as you tie up resource doing something that can easily be downloaded and managed via risk management.
Yes, there is an online ISO 27001 at ISO 27001 Online.
Get the Help of the ISO 27001 Ninja
Book your FREE 30 Minute ISO 27001 Strategy Call and let me show you how you can do it 30x cheaper and 10x faster that you ever thought possible.
ISO 27001 Matrix of controls and attribute values
|Preventive||Confidentiality||Identify||Supplier relationships security||Protection|
|Availability||Governance and ecosystem|