If you’re trying to figure out whether your route to ISO 27001 certification is best achieved via an ISO 27001 document toolkit or an online ISMS portal, you’ve come to the right place.
At High Table, we are bullsh*t-free. We help you see the wood from the trees by cutting the jargon and being honest and transparent about ISO 27001. With 25 years’ experience in the information security space, we’re the ISO 27001 people who give a sh*t about getting you accredited. (You’d never get that from an online ISMS portal, just saying.)
We’ll let you in on how to implement it, how not to implement it, and how to get certified quickly and affordably. As the fastest growing ISO 27001 company globally, we got here by doing things differently – we’re people, not robots.
We’re the people who create helpful content and make ISO 27001 accessible for people like you. Whether you’re a small business, a startup, or a novice consultant who needs to level-up – we will give you the tools to make your certification journey a seamless one. So, let’s get to it!
In this article we’ll explore why you should use an ISO 27001 toolkit (created by humans for humans), instead of investing in a faceless online ISMS portal. This will arm you with the knowledge to make the right decision for you.
I’m Stuart Barker: Founder of High Table, ISO 27001 Ninja, and creator of the ISO 27001 toolkit designed to make your life easier and catapult you to ISO 27001 success.
How to achieve ISO 27001
There are 3 main ways to get your ISO 27001 certificate:
- By following an ISO 27001 toolkit and doing it yourself
- By subscribing to an online ISMS portal
- By hiring a rip-off consultant to do the job for you (prepare to sell a kidney)
What is an ISO 27001 Document Toolkit?
An ISO 27001 document toolkit is a set of customisable templates that help you fast-track your ISO 27001 implementation. In order to get you ready for certification, they should:
- Come mapped to the ISO 27001 standard
- Create your Information Security Management System (ISMS)
- Be pre-populated in line with best practice
- Cover all mandatory ISO 27001 policies
Unfortunately, not all ISO 27001 toolkits on the market are up to scratch when it comes to quality and user experience:
- Some claim to be ‘free’ – is anything in life really free?
- Some are unnecessarily expensive – you don’t always get what you pay for
- Some are dull and difficult to follow – but luckily, we can vouch for an unrivalled ISO 27001 toolkit that makes getting certified a walk in the park. Read on to find out more… (You’re excited, aren’t you?)
Why would you use a Document Toolkit to implement ISO 27001?
Let’s get it out there. Who wants to start from scratch?
If you’re reading this, you’re probably searching the internet for an ISO 27001 quick fix. Are we right?
If you’re a small business owner or a consultant, here are 5 reasons why you might consider using an ISO 27001 document toolkit:
- To save months of time and effort researching and writing your own policies and paperwork
- To save thousands in consultant fees
- To reduce the risk of security breaches and data loss
- To keep you ISO 27001 compliant
- To improve efficiency
- To fast-track your ISO 27001 implementation
How easy is it to use an ISO 27001 document toolkit?
If the toolkit is written by an experienced information security practitioner who continually improves and updates it in line with the ISO 27001 standard, offers helpful, step-by-step video walkthroughs, cheat-sheets, guides and templates to help you reach UKAS ISO 27001 certification – it will be easy as pie!
What is the best ISO 27001 Toolkit 2023?
The best ISO 27001 toolkit you can buy in 2023 is the High Table ISO 27001 Toolkit.
If you’re a business, there’s a business toolkit specifically for you.
If you’re a consultant, there’s a consultant toolkit with your name on it.
And if you just need access to some time-saving ISO 27001 policy templates, we’ve created a policy toolkit with you in mind.
By taking the High Table route, not only do you get the highest quality, most up-to-date ISO 27001 document toolkit on the market that will help you achieve certification 10x faster and 30 times cheaper, you get access to the famous ISO 27001 Ninja, too. Otherwise known as the information security God.
With High Table, you’re not just buying a toolkit. You’re joining forces with the ISO 27001 experts who will talk to you like a human being, share ISO 27001 tips and secrets that the industry doesn’t want you to know, and remove the stress of getting certified from your shoulders. (You definitely wouldn’t get this from an online ISMS portal.)
If you don’t really know what your business needs, we’ve got you ✓
If you have any ISO 27001 questions throughout the process, we’re here for it ✓
We offer all of our ISO 27001 toolkit customers a FREE, hour-long strategy call, because, not only do we give a sh*t about our customers, we’ve got a dazzling reputation to maintain; so, giving you the right tools to make your ISO 27001 certification a success is our business. (You wouldn’t get this kind of personal service from an online ISMS portal either!)
Speaking of which…
What is an online ISMS portal?
An online Information Security Management System (ISMS) portal is a web-based platform that helps organisations manage and store their information security activities.
Using an online ISMS portal can be a great way for complex organisations to manage their documentation and reduce admin, but although they bring some benefits, there are also drawbacks.
The disadvantages of using an online ISMS portal for ISO 27001
- Let’s talk about money. Online ISMS portals can be expensive: especially for those that are SaaS (Software as a Service) solutions. This means ongoing subscription fees which is often out of reach for smaller businesses.
- One size doesn’t fit all. When using an online ISMS portal, they often aren’t flexible enough to suit the information security needs of every organisation.
- You’re dependant on staff. When you go down the Online ISMS route, you’re heavily relying on third-party staff for your information security management. This also begs the question: is your private data really private? How secure is it?
- You’re no longer fully in control. Whilst an online ISMS portal can manage and monitor your information security all in one central place, it may not give businesses the level of access and control they require.
- Your systems might not talk to each other. ISMS portals may not integrate well with the current tools and systems your business has in place, which can feel disjointed.
ISO 27001 Document Toolkit VS online ISMS Portal: a direct comparison
To drill down further and help you decide on the best implementation option for you, here is a side-by-side comparison between an ISO 27001 toolkit and an online ISMS portal:
|ISO 27001 Toolkit Templates Documents||ISO 27001 Portal / Cloud Software|
|Ideal for small businesses/consultants||Ideal for large, complex organisations|
|Affordable = from £197||Expensive = £10,000+|
|Easy to maintain||Complex to maintain|
|Easy to share with potential customers||Hard to share documents|
|Flexible and easy to configure||Requires code changes to configure tools|
|Doesn’t require software licences||Licenses required, at a cost|
|No training required||Usually requires training, at a cost|
|No third-party security or data storage worries||Stored by third party|
|Uses your existing Microsoft systems||Need users to be set up, maintained and administered|
|Documents are stored on your infrastructure: secured, controlled and owned by you||Unclear where the data is and what happens to it if you no longer want to use the portal|
Online ISMS portals just don’t cut it for small businesses and consultants
So, there you have it. There are major benefits of using an ISO 27001 Toolkit instead of an online ISMS portal – especially if you’re a small business or consultant.
Who doesn’t want to save time, save money, stay in control of their own data, and deal with actual human beings? What’s not to love?
Cards on the table. Of course, this post will lean towards using a toolkit when High Table offer the Daddy of all toolkits… But, ultimately, your best ISO 27001 implementation option depends entirely on your individual needs.
Consider these things:
- How big is your business?
- What’s your budget?
- How much time have you got?
- How much control do you want?
If you’re a small business who wants to save time, money and to stay in control of your information when implementing ISO 27001, then your decision should be an easy one.
Fast-track your way to victory with the High Table ISO 27001 Toolkit – the only unrivalled piece of kit you need for quick, affordable, guaranteed certification.
Your ISO 27001 solution awaits… You’ll find it in the ISO 27001 Toolkit here.
FREE 30 minute ISO 27001 strategy session.
Claim your 100% FREE no-obligation 30 minute strategy session call (£1000 value). This is strictly for small businesses who are hungry to get ISO 27001 certified up to 10x faster and 30x cheaper.