In this article we lay bare ISO27001 Clause 6 Planning. Exposing the insider trade secrets, giving you the templates that will save you hours of your life and showing you exactly what you need to do to satisfy it for ISO27001 certification. We show you exactly what changed in the ISO27001:2022 update. I am Stuart Barker the ISO27001 Ninja and this is ISO27001 Clause 6
Table of contents
- What is ISO27001 Clause 6 Planning?
- ISO27001 Clause 6 Definition
- ISO27001 Clause 6 FAQ
- ISO27001 Certification Requirements
- See Also
What is ISO27001 Clause 6 Planning?
The ISO27001 standard requires an organisation to establish and maintain information security risk assessment processes that include the risk acceptance and assessment criteria.
It requires that the organisation implements and manages risk treatment.
As part of planning it also requires the organisation to set out the information security objectives and have a plan in place to meet those objectives.
ISO27001 Clause 6 Definition
This ISO27001 Standard defines clause 6 as:
When planning for the information security management system, the organisation shall consider the issues referred to in 4.1 and the requirements referred to in 4.2 and determine the risks and opportunities that need to be addressed to:
a) ensure the information security management system can achieve its intended outcome(s);
b) prevent, or reduce, undesired effects; and
c) achieve continual improvement.
The organisation shall plan:
d) actions to address these risks and opportunities; and
e) how to
1) integrate and implement these actions into its information security management system processes; and
2) evaluate the effectiveness of these actions.ISO27001 Clause 6
ISO27001 6.1.2 Information Security Risk Assessment Requirement
The organisation shall define and apply an information security risk assessment process that:
a) establishes and maintains information security risk criteria that include:
1) the risk acceptance criteria; and
2) criteria for performing information security risk assessments;
b) ensures that repeated information security risk assessments produce consistent, valid and comparable results;
c) identifies the information security risks:
1) apply the information security risk assessment process to identify risks associated with the loss of confidentiality, integrity and availability for information within the scope of the information security management system; and
2) identify the risk owners;
d) analyses the information security risks:
1) assess the potential consequences that would result if the risks identified in 6.1.2c) 1) were to materialise;
2) assess the realistic likelihood of the occurrence of the risks identified in 6.1.2 c) 1); and
3) determine the levels of risk;
e) evaluates the information security risks:
1) compare the results of risk analysis with the risk criteria established in 6.1.2 a); and
2) prioritise the analysed risks for risk treatment.
ISO2001 6.1.3 Information Security Risk Treatment
The organisation shall define and apply an information security risk treatment process to:
a) select appropriate information security risk treatment options, taking account of the risk assessment results;
b) determine all controls that are necessary to implement the information security risk treatment option(s) chosen;
c) compare the controls determined in 6.1.3 b) above with those in Annex A and verify that no necessary controls have been omitted;
d) produce a Statement of Applicability that contains the necessary controls and justification for inclusions, whether they are implemented or not, and the justification for exclusions of controls from Annex A;
e) formulate an information security risk treatment plan; and
f ) obtain risk owners’ approval of the information security risk treatment plan and acceptance of the residual information security risks.
ISO27001 6.2.1 Information Security Objectives and Planning To Achieve Them Requirement
The organisation shall establish information security objectives at relevant functions and levels. The information security objectives shall:
a) be consistent with the information security policy;
b) be measurable (if practicable);
c) take into account applicable information security requirements, and risk assessment and risk treatment results;
d) be communicated; and
e) be updated as appropriate.
When planning how to achieve its information security objectives, the organisation shall determine;
f ) what will be done;
g) what resources will be required;
h) who will be responsible;
i) when it will be completed; and
j) how the results will be evaluated.
ISO27001 Clause 6 FAQ
The ISO27001 standard requires an organisation to establish and maintain information security risk management processes and that it defines information security objectives in line with the risks identified.
You can download ISO27001 Clause 6 Planning templates here: https://hightable.io/product/iso-27001-templates-toolkit/
An example of ISO27001 Clause 6 Planning can be found here: https://hightable.io/product/iso-27001-templates-toolkit/
ISO27001 Certification Requirements
ISO27001 Certification Requirements set out clause by clause with these complete beginner’s guides that include everything you need to know, what to do and ISO27001 templates.
- ISO 27001 Clause 4.1 Understanding The Organisation And Its Context
- ISO 27001 Clause 4.2 Understanding The Needs And Expectations Of Interested Parties
- ISO 27001 Clause 4.3 Determining The Scope Of The Information Security Management System
- ISO 27001 Clause 4.4 Information Security Management System (ISMS)
- ISO 27001 Clause 5.1 Leadership And Commitment
- ISO 27001 Clause 5.2 Information Security Policy
- ISO 27001 Clause 5.3 Organisational Roles, Responsibilities And Authorities
- ISO 27001 Clause 6 Planning
- ISO 27001 Clause 6.1.1 Planning General
- ISO 27001 Clause 6.1.2 Information Security Risk Assessment
- ISO 27001 Clause 6.1.3 Information Security Risk Treatment
- ISO 27001 Clause 6.2.1 Information Security Objectives And Planning To Achieve Them
- ISO 27001 Clause 7.1 Resources
- ISO 27001 Clause 7.2 Competence
- ISO 27001 Clause 7.3 Awareness
- ISO 27001 Clause 7.4 Communication
- ISO 27001 Clause 7.5.1 Documented Information
- ISO 27001 Clause 7.5.2 Creating And Updating Documented Information
- ISO 27001 Clause 7.5.3 Control Of Documented Information
- ISO 27001 Clause 8.1 Operational Planning And Control
- ISO 27001 Clause 8.2 Information Security Risk Assessment
- ISO 27001 Clause 8.3 Information Security Risk Treatment
- ISO 27001 Clause 9.1 Monitoring, Measurement, Analysis, Evaluation
- ISO 27001 Clause 9.2 Internal Audit
- ISO 27001 Clause 9.3 Management Reviews
- ISO 27001 Clause 10.1 Nonconformity And Corrective Action
- ISO 27001 Clause 10.2 Continual Improvement
- Guaranteed ISO 27001 Certification up to 10x Faster and 30x Cheaper
- The Ultimate ISO 27001 TOOLKIT so you can do it yourself
- ISO 27001 Exposed: The facts you must know (Not knowing these could cost you $10,000s!)
- 25 Things You Must Know Before Going for ISO 27001 Certification (Number 3 will blow your mind!)
- The Ultimate Reference Guide to ISO 27001 Controls